xorg-x11-server-Xephyrpackage from Fedora repositories using
yum install xorg-x11-server-Xephyrcommand
- Start 2 instances of terminal (e.g.
xterm) in already running X server.
- In 1st instance of terminal, execute
xwininfo |fgrep "Window id".
- Now with the crosshair cursor, select 2nd instance of the terminal.
- Note on the window id which prints on the 1st terminal. e.g.
0x4c00022is the Window ID from following output:
xwininfo: Window id: 0x4c00022 "wahjava@chatteau:~"
- Now in 1st instance of terminal, execute
Xephyr -parent 0x4c00022 -ac :1 &
- Now to run gedit in new Xephyr X server, execute following in 1st instance of terminal:
[wahjava@chatteau ~]$ DISPLAY=:1 metacity&  6365 [wahjava@chatteau ~]$ DISPLAY=:1 gedit&  6366
- So if there is anything you wanted to execute in this Xephyr X server, you’ve to make sure that you’ve
DISPLAY=:1environment variable set.
- When done playing with your Xephyr X server, do
- Back in 2nd terminal instance :)
This might not be a recommended way to run Xephyr. So don’t complain, anyways Happy Xephyring… :-D